Saturday, October 15, 2011

Unwind by Neal Shusterman


Summary
The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive. (from back of book)

Review
     I loved this book. I'd give it maybe a four and a half out of five stars.
     Although I did not find the book scary, as some people did, I found it disturbing. The whole idea that you could "unwind" to somebody, and the idea that someone would willingly do that to their child, was disturbing. I have to admit, I did cry at several parts, but I cry very easily while reading. It's a weakness of mine. 
     I found the book disturbing, not because they are killing someone when they unwind them, but more because they are doing so without permission. It was an invasion of private property. I felt like screaming out, "Those aren't your body parts!" while reading it. It wasn't graphic though. It didn't describe things in gruesome detail. It left you to imagine things, which was much worse. 
     I liked the characters, who were realistic and believable, but I didn't really connect with them, although I'm not sure why. Something about the way it was written. 
     As always with books like these, it left me wanting to know more about the society it takes place in. I would have been happy if I had just gotten a book explaining the world they live in, without any story, but I have a feeling that even if I did get one, I still wouldn't be satisfied. 
     Needless to say, the book was incredibly original. I have never read a book like it before, and I can only hope to read one like it in the future. I would highly recommend this book, and in fact I already have a waiting list of friends who want to read my copy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment